Jobs with Janeese for DC
We’re building a team to run Janeese’s people-powered campaign. Together, we’re fighting for a Ward 4 that is more inclusive and equitable.
Ready to join the team? See below for our current job openings. If you’re interested in becoming a campaign intern or fellow, submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Classification: Independent Contractor
Timeline: Part-time or Full-time from start through June 15. Primary Election Day is June 2, 2019.
We will conduct rolling interviews.
Janeese Lewis George (janeese4dc.com) is running for DC Council as a progressive champion against a vulnerable incumbent. She is endorsed by Working Families Party, DC for Democracy, Jews United for Justice Campaign Fund, Black Lives Matter (DC), and The Metro DC Area DSA. With the Council precariously balanced between people-oriented and corporate-oriented factions, this seat is crucial in securing a majority to focus on DC’s working families and away from sweetheart deals for political insiders.
We are seeking Field Specialists with a strong passion for justice to be our boots on the ground in support of our expanded field operation. The ideal candidates will bring a passion for listening and connecting with neighbors on critical issues in Ward 4. This job requires extensive walking in neighborhoods and collecting information via a smartphone device. The Field Specialist will report to the Field Director and is part of the Field team which includes paid staff and volunteers.
- Complete weekly field assignments, input data in VAN, and report any feedback to Field Director
- Build and manage relationships with neighbors and precinct captains
- Participate in regular JLG Team meetings and All Team (core team) strategy sessions
- Participate as JLG staff lead for 2 canvasses on a rotating schedule (this includes working with the Field Director to prepare canvass material, cut turf, and prepare volunteer accounts for miniVAN)
- Participate in GOTV activities as assigned by the Field Director
- Staff one (1) phonebank or textbank on a rotating schedule (includes setup and providing technical support to volunteers)
- Weekly reporting of qualitative and quantitative information
- Attend community meetings, as needed
- Other campaign duties as assigned
Desired Experience & Skills
- Ability to canvass for up to 3 hours per shift
- Familiarity with Ward 4 neighborhoods and DC politics
- Proficiency with VAN, NGP, Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Paid field experience ideal but not required
- DC residents or individuals with strong knowledge of the District preferred
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, creativity, and self-motivation
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and kind towards others while under pressure
- Commitment to principles of relational organizing and building power with multi-ethnic, multi-racial communities, and coalitions
- Reliable access to transportation
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends, and devote long hours when necessary
- Access to a computer and the ability to communicate with campaign team on a regular basis is required
- Spanish or Amharic language proficiency a plus
Former Assistant Attorney General for the District of Columbia, Janeese Lewis George was born, raised, and resides in Ward 4. She is a DC Public Schools graduate who went on to Howard Law School, and to work for DC Attorney General Karl Racine. She has recently left government to run for office full time.
Janeese’s campaign set the record for the fastest qualification for public financing at just 2.25 days, and within its first week, the campaign garnered significant media attention. The campaign has already recruited extensive grassroots support and is rapidly growing every day. The campaign is currently supported by a team of experienced volunteers, many with national-level campaign experience and deep local political and social ties, who are excited to welcome a recently hired Campaign Manager with whom you would be reporting to and working with closely. Based on the strong fundraising totals, media coverage, field organizing currently taking place, and excitement we are hearing from our grassroots efforts, with a strong Field Director in place, Janeese will win her campaign to become DC’s next Ward 4 Councilmember and will take a strong turn toward the issues that matter to working families.
As noted above, Janeese has been endorsed by the most active grassroots groups and all are planning significant engagement in the campaign.
Lastly, because of the new DC Fair Elections financing program, there will be enormous demand for skilled Field Directors and Campaign Managers in DC moving forward. This race is an excellent opportunity to work closely with key volunteers, local social justice organizations, elected officials, to build power in communities, to change the direction of the District of Columbia and to grow your career too.
How to apply:
Please email your resume and two references to email@example.com. Please make sure to include in your email your answer to the following questions:
- Why do people-powered campaigns matter to you?
- What campaigns have you been involved in previously? How did you help those campaigns succeed?
Women and people of color are particularly encouraged to apply.
No calls, please. This position will be open until filled and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.